PanamaDaily.news
View Topics

Casco Antiguo artisans seek safeguards as Plaza de Francia restoration advances

What Happened

Artisans working in Panama City’s Casco Antiguo are pressing the Ministry of Culture for guarantees that their stalls will remain in place while restoration work moves ahead around Plaza de Francia and nearby public spaces. Representatives of the Asociación de Artesanos Unidos del Casco Antiguo said they are worried about possible removals from the Paseo Esteban Huertas and the Plaza de Francia, where they have sold handicrafts for years.

The group met on May 20 with Ministry of Culture officials to raise concerns about the project, the lack of clear regulation for artisan activity in the area, and the growing presence of informal vendors in one of the city’s most visited tourist districts.

Why the Project Matters

The restoration is part of a broader effort to improve and preserve one of Panama’s most important heritage zones. Plaza de Francia is a symbolic site in the Casco Antiguo, a UNESCO World Heritage area that draws local visitors and international tourists throughout the year. Any work there can affect not only the historic landscape, but also the livelihoods of the people who depend on foot traffic from the district.

The project was awarded last year to Administradora de Proyectos de Construcción, S.A. (Aprocosa) for $5.9 million. Planned work includes restoration of Plaza de Francia, green areas, the hemicycle, the colonial wall, and part of Paseo Esteban Huertas. The intervention covers 7,120 square meters, with 5,777 square meters slated for restoration.

What the Artisans Want

Adán Cerrud, president of AUCA, said the artisans want a clear framework that protects their work and distinguishes traditional Panamanian handicrafts from merchandise that does not belong to the sector. The group also asked for stronger inspections and controls in tourist areas to limit informal sales that they say undermine legitimate artisans.

AUCA said 39 artisans currently work in the area, some of them for more than 20 years. That long presence makes the dispute more than a simple commercial issue: it also touches on how Panama balances heritage conservation, tourism, and small-scale livelihoods inside its most sensitive historic district.

Government Response and Next Steps

Ministry of Culture officials said no authorization has been given to evict artisans from the Paseo Esteban Huertas or Plaza de Francia. The meeting included Ámbar Zambrano, director of the Casco Antiguo Office; Algis Díaz, national director of Crafts; and Manuel Trute, national director of Cultural Heritage.

Both sides agreed on the need to strengthen regulation in tourist areas and protect traditional Panamanian handicrafts. The ministry also committed to maintaining direct and ongoing communication with artisan representatives, a key step as the restoration work progresses and the future use of these public spaces comes under closer scrutiny.

AUCA submitted a letter to Culture Minister María Eugenia Herrera outlining its concerns. For residents, visitors, and vendors in the Casco Antiguo, the immediate issue is whether the restoration can proceed without displacing long-standing artisans whose presence has become part of the area’s daily life.

Panama Daily News is an independent digital news source covering breaking news, politics, crime, business, and culture across the Republic of Panama. From Panama City to Colón, Chiriquí to Bocas del Toro — we deliver the stories that matter, updated around the clock.
© 2026 Panama Daily News. All rights reserved.